Monday, September 29, 2008

A Toast: To The 'Firsts'



I know I haven't posted in a couple of days. So unlike me! LOL A lot's been going on. Well its Monday again...guess what? All went well this morning. I guess the 4th time is a charm. No fighting with weave-wearing amazons, the train was actually close to being on time this morning and best of all, NO BUTTER SOAKED BAGELS! Does it get any better? Since I had a great weekend it was only fitting that my Monday turns out the same way.

I can happily announce that over this past weekend, Tonio and I are back together and stronger than ever. We now share the same vision for what we expect and want out of life and from each other. We realize that working as one, we can deal with anything that comes our way. A lot of the issues that led to the break-up (on my end) were dealt with head on. I knew there was a good chance that we wouldn’t reconcile, but these issues I had to resolve for myself no matter what. Only then would I be able to live my best life. The close to 2 months we've been apart was painful and left an emotional and physical toll on both of us. Something I don't wish on anyone, but it has taught us both invaluable lessons. Don't worry; I won't list them all here. To sum it up in a nutshell, I've learned that in tense times, it’s important to 'listen' to what someone is saying, don't just 'hear' them. You can’t be any good to anyone, unless you’re good to yourself first.

We went to Tonio's sister's house for his nephew's birthday and had a ball. I felt so at ease. Something I didn't entirely feel the last time I was there. As the kids played together and the adults sat around and talked, it just felt...right. We've always had a connection with each other, and now that connection has been fine tuned and plays perfectly. Driving home, with junior fast asleep, we discussed the last couple of months and all that had transpired. Sure we could look back now and laugh, but at the time I assure you, it was anything but funny. For me, I felt like the wind was literally sucked out of my lungs and I couldn't breathe. We were taken on a roller coaster of a journey. One that not too many couples come back from, once they go there. We were lucky. I believe our mutual respect, commitment and love for each other played a huge part. Also, having God on our side didn't hurt either!

The three of us spending the weekend together after being apart for so long, seemed effortless. Although we can count the days on a calendar as to just how long we were separated, it seemed no time had elapsed at all. Whether we were cooking, talking, watching TV, joking, it felt right. It was evident a stronger unit had been created.

Having said all that, I’m ready to begin the first day of the rest of my life with my new family and looking forward to all the ‘firsts’ that we’ll share together.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Here's to all our first happy boi...I love you very much and know that together we will live our best life.

Achilles said...

And I love you very much...always have. There's no doubt in my mind with us in each other's corners, there isn't anything we can't accomplish.

Anonymous said...

so I guess this is the payback for making Cocoa cry at Bryans birthday story...I am sitting here on my sofa sobbing, crying my eyes out for joy.

First things first...
Congratulations again.

Second...
I hope you do realize that any negative comments I made on Cocoas blog when he was in pain are comments made when I was trying to protect my oldest and dearest friend. I have used anger as a shield for myself for a long time. While it doesnt make me feel any better, it certainly has helped me to survive. With that being said, please DO NOT take anything I said in protective mode personally.

Third...
I am so happy we are all one big happy family now. We had so much fun with you and mini at the housewarming. The holidays are going to be the BEST now!!!

God bless you all.

SOMEONE GET ME A KLEENEX!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love happy endings.

When it's really meant to be, it WILL be.

Great news!!!! Love it, love it, love it.

Shannon Lee said...

Thank you JEEZUS!!! Prayer, faithful friends and above all, GOD--WORKS!

Congratulations to you both BD...what an incredibly perfect ending to my own incredibly perfect "new beginning". My heart is truly smiling right now.

Love to you both...and the Mini too!!

XOXO

Achilles said...

Hi Cas - Thanks for the tears, it has been a journey! Thanks for your support.

No need to apologize. Knowing how close you two are, I realize you were there to protect and shield. Spending time with you, I've seen you in action and you have a heart as big as my DVD collection (and that's pretty big)! Don't worry nothing was taken personal. Thank you for being a friend to him, when he needed. You're the best!

Yes, I look forward to the blending our families and the many many years of fun and great singing we'll have. :-D

Kelli - Being a romantic at heart, I love happy endings as well. I'm sooo grateful this story has one! Take care!

Anonymous said...

congradulations man. followed your blog from the beginning. Glad to see everything worked out.