Saturday, September 20, 2008

Excuse Me, Sir

Iam Dulcis Amica
Karissima, noli tardare
studeamus nos nunc amare
sine te non potero vivere
iam decet amorem perficere


Hoc est vivere bis vita posse priore frvi

**Just a little babbling in the dead language**


We're all getting older. I'm learning to embrace it. Junior and I went to get our haircut today. We were walking back when we waited for the light to change to cross the street, when a young kid (early teens) approached me to ask the time. It took me a sec to react to what he had said. "Excuse me, sir, do you have the time" Sir? WTF!! All I heard in the background was the needle of the record player being pulled off and scratching the record. Everything stopped. I looked at the boy, he looked at me as if to say are you deaf and old? Then it dawned on me that I hadn't answered him. I quickly looked at my watch and told him the time. He thanked me and walked off. I was still stuck on the 'sir' bit! I wasn't old enough to be a 'sir'? Did I look that old? Was I no longer in the "yo", or the "my man" range? Was it because I was with my son and I seemed older to him? It could've been a couple of things. Then I realized that I am getting older. Naturaly I have a different outlook on things now than I did when I was younger. For example, I used to be one of those kids on the train, talking loud to my friends and we're all standing next to each other. Now when I hear kids doing it on the train, it irks me. I used to have a lot more patience in general. I would be able to tolerate more. Lately it seems that I don't have a lot of patience and especially for dumb shyt! For example at work if I send an email out and get an unclear response, I used to send an email back for clarification. Now, I pick up the phone and cut to the chase. I don't have time for the back and forth. I want to know the answer now. Someone I grew up with used to always be in my business, and talk about me. I used to dodge and ignore her, just so I wouldn't have to answer any questions. Now when I run into her, I meet her head on. When I ran into her at the laundry room, I approached her and asked her if she was talking about me? Of course she acted shocked and denied it. I told her if she had any questions to come ask me. All this he said, she said is dead. I told her there was no reason for my name to come out her mouth. She agreed with the wide-eyed-scared look and jetted off. I know I left her with some food for thought. So in the end, yea we all get older, I hope we all get a little wiser to. And the next time I hear the excuse me, sir...before a question. I'll wear it like a badge of honor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the great thing about getting older is you DON'T have to give a fat babies ass about what people THINK of you anyore. You can give the haters your entire ass to kiss sans chapstick.

I do like the ma'am thing though : )

and for the record, you dont look a day over 23!

Unknown said...

I agree with Cas on this one...I've been called a few things in my day...Sir doesn't appear to be at the top of the bad pile...LOL