Monday, September 08, 2008

Monday Morning Mess

And you wonder why I dislike Mondays. All was going well: I got up, showered, got dressed, made sure I packed my lunch (for a change) and headed out the door. The seven minute walk to the train station went off without a hitch. I passed my MetroCard through and headed up the stairs to the train. Since I live at the first stop I get a seat. I huddled into a corner, put on my headphones and prepared to be serenaded by Beyonce’. The ride was smooth and with no delays…imagine that. We get to 42nd Street and the whole train it seems prepares to rush off the train. It’s like a million sperm cells swimming all at once to find that one egg! I patiently wait my turn to get to the door. This young woman and I arrive at the door at the same time, I see her and I let her go ahead of me. She walks out and I follow. I notice she’s walking kind of slow and people behind me push me so I stumble a little and accidentally step on her heel. I immediately say sorry and prepare to go my merry way. This chick swings her weave-sewn head around and raises her arms like she’s gonna hit me. I stop dead in my tracks, cock my head to the side as both my eyebrows are instantly planted in the middle of my scalp! I give her ‘Oh really’ look. She looks at me and I’m staring back. We’re like the sheriff and Jesse James about to square off at the O.K. Corral. I was ready. My man and I just broke up, I’m not sleeping, I’m wasting away to nothing and you wanna flex this morning? Oh bring it on!! I guess she uses the good sense God gave her and finally walks off. I stand there to make sure she doesn’t get any more crazy ideas before I walk off. I mean come on, it’s Monday, it’s crowded, people are pushing, I said sorry. What more does she want? I would have apologized again, but she got all Laila Ali on me. Sigh…just another day in New York City’s subway. It’s got to get better. I refuse to let her mess up my day!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh wow...thankfully we don't ride to work in the morning or girlfriend would've been scratchin' her head at the nearest emergency room trying to answer the question, "What is the last thing you remember?" LOL
...that's why I wear my BIG shades and have a permanent 'frog' face while riding NYC transit every morning...I just look like the kinda mutha fucka who would be cast as the lead in 'Death Wish - Royalty Rides Mass Transit"

Achilles said...

Definitely. That chick doesn't know how lucky she is. It would've been like WWF Tag Team Championship Smackdown!

Anonymous said...

I'm feeling you on the trials and tribulations of riding the NY subway. I hate it too. NExt time step on both heels.

Achilles said...

LOL You got it. I'll also shove her to the floor!