
Ahhh, the Mets. I was so excited to be going to Shea Stadium for the first time. I've been to Yankee Stadium several times in the past, so this was huge. While I'm not a baseball fanatic, I do enjoy watching it and following the players. Got in late last night, had a great time. The weather was fine, the action was fantastic, the atmosphere couldn't have been better. The ride home was quick. The food was delicious. The night was perfect. The only thing missing was THE GAME!
You see, Tonio and I headed out after work to meet up with a friend of his who worked in Queens and would meet us there. Wanting to avoid shelling out all that $ for parking in the city, then parking at the stadium, we decided to take the train. We left the job at 5 on the dot and headed toward the #7 train.

Tonio asked if I had printed out the directions. I told him no, that he never sent me the directions. Needless to say Grand Central was packed! We made our way downstairs to the correct train. It was then that we realized we didn't know what stop to get off on. We quickly spotted an MTA worker and asked her what stop is Shea Stadium. She told us, Willetts Point. Then she scrunched her face up and said, "Is there a game today?" We both responded, "Yes we have tickets." She said shrugged her shoulders as if to say, Ok. We headed toward the front of the train as she instructed us and waited as a train pulled in. Thank goodness it was crowded and we waited for the next one. It's funny. That comment the MTA worker made bothered both of us but we hadn't said anything to the other. As we waited for the next train, I was going to suggest we take a look at the tickets. As I turned around, Tonio was already opening up the envelope. He looked down, looked and me and said, "Let's go." Instantly I knew there was a mix-up. I asked what was wrong. I thought we missed the game and it was the day before or something. He handed me a ticket and I saw the date: Thursday, September 25th. I laughed so hard, people around us looked a little worried. Like I had just escaped from the funny farm. I laughed all the way up the stairs and outside. Tonio didn't find it funny-that's what made it all the hilarious! Once outside, he called his friend and explained he had the wrong date. He kept saying, "This doesn't happen to me". (It just did. LOL) I found the entire situation funny. With time to kill, we discussed what we wanted to do. We decided to take the express bus back to the Bronx and get a bite to eat.
Once at his house, I walked Busta while he ordered Chinese food. We ate, talked, and watched some TV. We got caught up on a few reality shows and I was introduced to a show that I never cared for in the past, but after watching a couple of episodes (and laughing out loud...literally) will be sure to catch more of. That show was Family Guy. It was a great evening and we did what we do best, enjoyed each other's company. As far as making it to Shea, I guess I'll have to wait until next week to finally make it there.
I mentally filed this mishap for the day that I have to strategically use it, like the big joker in a game of spades!!
WORDS TO LIVE BY:
Plan ahead. It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark!
3 comments:
This post gave me a good ol'fashioned belly laugh!! This is SOO something that would happen to my mom and me. Tonio might've been ticked at himself for missing the oversight, but both of you should be thankful the game date hadn't already passed you BY!. Now THAT would be something to steam about! Glad you were able to enjoy the evening nonetheless...sounds like a good time was had by all... :)
~K~
You? My stomach still hurts from laughing. The look on his face when I bring it up...priceless! I'm definitely grateful the date didn't pass. Suffice to say next time I'll hold the tickets...and actually LOOK at them. Hahahahaha
Yes, we enjoyed the evening and had a great time.
We had a super time...even if I have a problem reading dates on tickets! The best part is that I looked at the tickets and pulled-up what our seating arrangements would be....if I had only looked slightly to the right to see the darn date!
Post a Comment