Wednesday, September 17, 2008

All About the Benjamin$

Don't get me wrong, I know I shouldn't feel this way, but I'm pissed. Let me rewind... My younger brother, the very one I just visited in Florida, recently lost his job. He was given a huge severance package from what I understand. He hasn't been looking for work, so I figure he's handling his business correctly. He has two kids a wife, a nice house, two cars. He knows what he has to do. Monday I find out that he's behind on his rent and needs money ASAP or he will be evicted. I couldn't believe it. I was just there last month. He never mentioned anything. Prior to my visit, he bought furniture, a huge flat screen TV, and who knows what else. My mom has been after my baby brother and me to put some money together to help him out. Not that I didn't want to, but I have my own bills, my own responsibilities. I couldn't understand where all his money went! Not only is she contributing money, but she reached out to my grandparents (her parents). In addition to being the first grandchild in the family, my grandparents raised me. So you could say out of my siblings and cousins I'm closest to them. They wouldn't hesitate to do anything for me, but when it came to money, they’re a firm believer of you making a way for yourself. Especially if you’re working and have a source of income. They felt you had to have a sense of responsibility and priority. At the age of 25 I was living on my own and ran into some financial trouble. I reached out to my family for assistance. My mother at the time couldn't help. My grandparents could've helped, but chose not to. I was told this would be a 'lesson' for me to learn. Now fast forward years later my brother is in the same situation and everyone is racing to his aid-including my grandparents. Now granted the stakes are higher and there are children involved (I was single at the time with no children), but the issue is the same. In fact to me it's worse. You had $$ in your possession and chose not to pay rent, yet you buy new furniture and a huge ass flat screen TV??? Where is the priority? Where is the sense of urgency? And of the money he owes, he only has about 1/4 of it? What did you do with the rest?? It wouldn't be so bad if this were the first time, or the second...(well bad enough), but it’s happened before. They didn't have kids at that time, and fell short on the bills. And if memory serves me correctly, my mom (possibly my grandparents-don't remember) helped them out then too. I just don't comprehend that.
{{breathe}}
Okay I got that out of my system. He's my brother and I love him, but at what point do you say 'Look man take control of your life. You have a family, you need to save your money. You can't have everything you want. You need to make sacrifices.'? I’ll be the first to admit I enjoy shopping and love my electronic gadgets (BlackBerry, iPod, etc.) but I have priorities and know what needs to be handled first.



On another note, Dee Dee and her husband just gave me some good news. If their little one keeps progressing at the incredible rate he is, he'll be home by Thanksgiving! I know they can't wait for that. Everyone is so pleased.

6 comments:

Nobody not really... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Life isn't fair - period. I mean, I've encountered the very same thing and now choose not to get my thong in a bunch about it. Let's just consider it a case of trusting your judgment more. Now go ahead and kick your bruh-bruh some mulah...then send him a card that says, "Hope all is well. Love The Divine Provider"
LOL

Nobody not really... said...

I gotta say I feel you on that, but I've been told before that people are helped on a case-by-case basis. In your case, maybe they had faith you'd make it through. In his case, maybe they're worried he won't.

Achilles said...

Cocoa - The Divine Provider?-I think not. LOL I'm robbing Peter to pay Paul myself! I know everyone has their pitfalls, but this couldn't been easily avoided. He's too old to be that irresponsible. It's not just him, where he can say fuck it and go live with someone until he gets on his feet. No! He has a family that looks to him for support. He needs to be mindful of that. All I know is he will get an earful from me. That's the price he pays to get my $. This is gonna be like housing...a ONE SHOT DEAL!

Nobody - You may be right. We're both very different. I'm the resourceful type, the man with the plan, the get-it-done-at-any-cost type. When this happened to me years ago, I took on multiple jobs to pay my bills. At 25 I didn't have a problem with slinging burgers during the day, working at Barnes & Noble in the evenings and traveling to Queens to work at Macys on Saturdays and Sundays, because at the end of the day, I had a roof over my head and my bills were paid. My family has no idea what I went through. I guess in their eyes, everything got paid, so I must be alright. My refrigerator had nothing more than week old Chinese food and Arm & Hammer baking soda, but I could always go somewhere to eat-and I did. My brother has always been the type to reach out to others to help him when in a bind. He's more laid back, no sense of urgency. I guess you hit the nail on the head with that one.

Anonymous said...

"Blessed are they who show others mercy, for they will be shown mercy".

Cocoa floated me some cash when I found myself in a predicament a few weeks back. Mind you, I have a humongous tv, a nice crib, and I earn a decent living...but I found myself in quite a quagmire. Granted, he floated me some cash by putting it in the armrest of my car and now he refuses to take it back, but he is and will continue to be blessed for being such a good brother to me.

So don't allow the circumstances preceding your brothers current position deter you from helping him out - if you can - now or ever. Trust me when I say, it will all come back to you in one form or another.

Smooches and give Mini a big smooch for me also...

P.S. There is going to be a huge Medieval Festival in Fort Tryon Park(upper manhattan) on September 28. Let me know if the Mini would be interested in going with Sophia and we can dress them up as a Medieval Prince and Princess: ) You and Cocoa would be invited too of course : )

Achilles said...

Hey Cas, you're right and I agree. It's just that in the beginning I was perplexed and resentful. Here we are very same situation, separated by years, different outcome. I was a little put of at first, but I got over it. I thought of my niece and nephew I came through. I just want him to realize that you as "man of the house" need to get on your grind and take care of business.

I've heard of Tryon Park, never been there. Sounds like it may be a plan. Thanks!!

P.S. - The mini wanted me to thank you on your words of wisdom at the housewarming. Someone at school was bothering him, saying he was "too skinny" and he responded, "then why are you hanging around me?". He said he (and I quote) "shut the boy down"! I was cracking up. Thanks for the talk... :-)