Sunday, September 21, 2008

Darker Knight


I finally saw The Dark Knight, this weekend. The movie is in its tenth week of release and is in 1905 theaters. To date it’s taken in $521,925,000. The movie runs 2 hours and 30 minutes. The critics and moviegoers gave it high ratings and said it was the must-see movie of the year! I have to say I wasn’t impressed. Immediately I wondered if the people who saw it, were caught up in the hype of the movie when it first came out. The fact that I waited so long to see it, is that why I wasn’t enthralled with it? I went into the movie with an open mind. I never take what the critics say seriously, and like to make up my own mind. I did however go in my fondness for the Batman franchise, expecting to be entertained and instead came out scratching my head. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed the movie overall. Yes, Heath Ledger was great as The Joker. He set the tone for the movie: dark and violent. To have The Joker come across the way he did, Heath had to explore a dark part of his personality to convey his role so brilliantly and consistently. Yes, it was action-packed as expected. Yes, the special effects and gadgets were off the hook. And still I left the theater unsatisfied somehow. The characters were good and it was interesting to see the transformation of Harvey Dent (don't worry-no spoilers here for those who still haven't seen it). Now I did see Batman Begins so I was able to make the connections from the first movie-that wasn’t it. Something was just missing. Maybe it’s me. Despite my reaction, the movie’s made half a billion dollars-so evidently it’s doing something right. Potential sequel? It’s Hollywood-anything’s possible.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

str8 up bullshit...that's what all the hype was...it appears our friends may have been overwhelmed by the opinion of the cheering mob.

Anonymous said...

I beg to differ. That movie was a masterpiece.

Achilles said...

Uh Cas, were we watching the same movie?