Birthdays - It's thought the large-scale celebration of birthdays in Europe began with the non-Christian cult of Mithras, which originated in Persia, and was spread by soldiers throughout the Roman Empire.
The celebration of birthdays is not universal. In the Christian world, some communities do not celebrate Birthdays. For instance, Jehovah's Witnesses do not celebrate them, because their origins are pagan and the festivities are contrary to Christian practice, along with some of the festive customs associated with Christmas and Easter.
The birthday cake is traditionally highly decorated, and typically covered with lit candles when presented, the number of candles signifying the age of the celebrant. The person whose birthday it is may make a silent wish and then blow out the candles. It is also customary for the person celebrating their birthday to cut the initial piece of the cake as a newlywed couple might with a wedding cake.
Birthday cakes date back as far as the Middle Ages when the English would conceal symbolic items such as gold coins, rings and thimbles inside their cakes. Each item was associated with a prediction. For example, a person finding a gold coin in a birthday cake would supposedly become wealthy; a person discovering a thimble would never marry.
In addition to parties, it is often common for people to receive gifts on their birthdays. There are also traditions of surprise parties. However, in certain circles it is expected of the person celebrating their birthday to treat their party guests instead; this varies depending on the local culture and may involve party gifts or other gestures.
In most English-speaking countries it is traditional to sing the song Happy Birthday to You to the honored person celebrating a birthday. The Happy Birthday song tune is thought to be the most frequently sung melody in the world. Similar songs exist in other languages such as "Lang zal hij/zij leven" in Dutch, "Õnne soovime Sul" in Estonian, "Zum Geburtstag Viel Glück" in German, "Que los cumplas feliz" or "Feliz cumpleaños a tí" in Spanish, "Parabéns a você" in Portuguese, "Sto lat" in Polish, "Lá Bhreithlá Shona Duit" in Irish, "Joyeux Anniversaire" in French, "Tanti Auguri a te" in Italian and "Iyi ki dogdun, Mutlu Yillar Sana" in Turkish.
All this to say, that my baby's birthday is tomorrow. It's a special day. He doesn't hold Christmas in high regard for adults, but does so because he knows how important it is to me. But he holds birthdays as special, esp. his. He's organized a lunch at work tomorrow for all his close friends at the office. It should be a huge turn out and he's well connected and people love him. We're going to a sushi spot that he loves. I can't stand sushi (can't imagine the taste of colorful, cold, raw seafood-NO!) But they do have this delectable dish...teriyaki steak, seasoned mashed potatoes, vegetables and these thin slices of ginger that's heaven! They certainly cleanse the pallet and let you appreciate the different array of tastes on the colorful plate they serve you.
Though we work for the same company, only a handful of people know that we're seeing each other. For the most part, people just think we're friends. An associate in my department used to work with him and obviously knows he's gay. On a few occasions she's hinted if we "were together" I think were the words she used. Antonio and I were having lunch. I wanted to cringe as these words came out her mouth. Antonio quickly told her we met at a dinner party and kept in touch. When he heard I was looking for a new job, he remembered me and the rest as they say is history. Not that he didn't want her to know, but then since we are at work, it would bring unwanted attention to both of us and we didn't want that. The people that do know about us have nothing but best wishes for us. They generally seem happy for us. It's a good feeling to be respected and looked at as a "regular couple". I mean this is 2008, as far as we've come we're still a long way off. People see two men together as dirty, nasty, an abomination. This, over something we have no control over. So to be regarded in a "normal" way is a good feeling. They really like Antonio a lot and give him (and us) props. Because of our upcoming vacation in less than two weeks, money is tight and I can't do what I want to do for his birthday. But I'll make up for it this weekend and the rest of my life.
Getting off the subject, has anyone been watching The Wendy Williams Show? I have to admit, I like Wendy. She's nosy, she's in-your-face, she's loud, boisterous, has big hair, and I'm sick of the phrase "How you doin'?", but I have to watch her. Her show isn't the best, but its what people wanna hear. She talks about those taboo topics. She says what people are thinking but wouldn't dare say. I enjoyed her for years on the radio. It's obvious she's a novice when it comes to daytime TV though. She talks to her crew about how much time left before commercial, reads the teleprompter aloud, and the daily routine of 'where is she going to pull her notes out of today?' is a bit ridiculous, but overall it's fun. Not to mention that catchy tune for the opening of her show. You have to either clap or 'wooh - wooh' when you hear it. I'm not sure of her staying power, but for the time being its summer entertainment. As she would say, "it is what it is". I mean face it, she'll never be an "Oprah". Is she even on Tyra's level? Hmmmmmm. I don't know about you, but I'm grateful for the summer. I was getting tired of Tyra's topics. If it wasn't a town hall with 'bad girls' it was how to do hair and make-up. I understand she's a retired model and all, but as a talk show host, you must learn to step out your comfort zone every once in a while. It makes for interesting TV.
Until next time.
No comments:
Post a Comment