Just when I thought Monday's were okay again. This morning started off well enough. I took my seven-minute walk to the train. When I get to the train station I walk up the stairs and its just sitting there waiting for me (that should have alerted me). I stake out my corner, throw on the headphones and listen to the oldies.
At 138th Street, I noticed the train was taking longer than usual to close the doors in between stops. I didn't think much of it...that was until we hit 125th Street-the next stop...about 15 minutes later! That's unheard of. It should not take 15 minutes in between two stops, that's insane! But-this is New York. Once at 125th, the (express) train dragged to the next stop which is 86th Street. There the train waited...and waited. It had to be at least 5 minutes (which is an eternity to New Yorkers when the doors should have closed 4 and a half minutes ago) before the conductor would let us know that "due to a sick passenger at 42nd Street, there is a delay on the line" (yea no f*cking kidding!) "all trains will be going down the local track". GREAT!
You could almost feel people's annoyance. You heard teeth sucking, people shifting to get comfortable, other's talking aloud at how New York Transit sucks!! Two people already got into a beef, for pushing. The train was crowded what do they expect? As I shook my head, I quickly changed my current playlist on my iPod. I went from the catchy tunes of yesteryear to some raw, don't-f*ck-with-me Wu-Tang Clan followed up by some Eminem! As I listened I could feel attitude flowing through me. I was ready for whoever wanted to act up!
As we finally rolled into Grand Central Station, the attitude was in full capacity. Face was made, frown lines and all. But surprisingly no one messed with me. I guess my face said it all. I made it to the job and had to bring myself out of "F*ck Wit' Me Mode", so I once again changed the playlist to Broadway Show Tunes (yea, yea I know), but I needed something drastic and something fast! That did the trick. Within minutes, I was calming down and about to belt out Ethel Merman's version of "There's No Business Like Show Business", when I realized, I was at work!
Once logged in, I settled down and prepared myself for the onset of the day.
Have a good one!
3 comments:
Maybe that's why i've been playing "God's Trying to Tell You Something" all week!!
ethel merman...
Yep, the signs were definitely there.
They'd been in trouble if I belted one out like Ethel!
Post a Comment