Sunday, December 28, 2008

All I Want For Christmas Is My Ap - pen - dix

Christmas Eve was very nice. The ideal setting: house, snow on the ground, decorations outside and in, children laughing, good conversation, food cooking, stockings hung by the fireplace. Tonio's sister, Eva and her husband David, had outdone themselves.


The evening went great - dinner was delicious. By 11 pm, the kids were at the height of impatience, so it was decided they could open 'one gift'. Of course it didn't last long before just about every gift under the tree was unwrapped. Children and adults alike loved their presents.


Since my mom was coming home from the care center for Christmas, I would be cooking breakfast. We intended to get an early start from upstate back to the Bronx. Eva and David laid out inflatable beds for us in the living room. We tried to fight the excitement for a little while, but then sleep got the better of us and we surrendered willingly. During the night, it got cold; Tonio got up and turned on the fireplace. We snuggled to the heat and got comfortable as junior was wrapped comfy under his covers. Approximately 6:30 am, there was a loud crash. I awoke to find junior jumping at me; I instinctively jumped up also to see what happened. Apparently a vase that was on the fireplace got too hot and seemed to explode. Chunks of glass flew down right in front of us. Luckily no one was harmed. We wanted to get up at 7 anyway, so we got a 30-minute head start.


As we dressed, we said our goodbyes and headed back home. On the way my stomach was hurting. I thought it was a combination of hunger plus suddenly being jolted out of my sleep. As the day progressed, the pain intensified. It was in the middle of my stomach. My brother went and picked up my mom. Breakfast was a success and so was dinner. We had broiled steak, corn on the cob, baked potatoes with cheese and garlic bread. (All at my mom's request. She was tired of hospital food). All fixed by yours truly. Quite delicious if I do say so myself. My grandparents came over to share Christmas with us. By the time my brother drove my mom back to the care center, the pain had moved to my right side. The same side I had jumped up out of my sleep on. This plus the food, made me feel bloated. I was uncomfortable and couldn't sleep.


Around 3 am, I awoke to a really bad stomach ache. Feeling myself about to vomit I raced to the bathroom and the contents of my carefully cooked meal was now floating right in front of me! That alone made me gag about 5 times in a row, til there was nothing left in my stomach. Immediately after, I felt a little better and laid down for a couple of hours. The pain didn't go away.


Tonio and I were supposed to work, but there was no way I could go in with the pain like this. As soon as 9 o'clock came around I would call my doctor and make an appointment for him to give me some muscle relaxers for my side as I was sure I pulled a muscle by jumping out of my sleep. My appointment was for 2:30. Tonio drove me and junior over. Just like I thought, my doctor directed me to the nearest hospital-which he did. We went to the emergency room. It seemed like an eternity, esp. for junior. I know he would rather have been playing with his new toys, but he was supportive offering to 'help me'. In the emergency room, first I went to triage and explained my situation, then I went to registration (they had to make sure I had insurance naturally), then I went to the ER where, I was given morphine for the pain and we waited and waited. We arrived at 5:06, didn't get into the ER, til 7. A doctor (resembling Dr. Yang on Grey's Anatomy) finally saw me and recommended I get a CAT Scan to see exactly what I was dealing with. Once I went in, it seemed like an eternity before the results came back. In the meantime, my brother and his girlfriend came after their anniversary dinner, to pick up junior and take him home. It was a long night for him. I didn't want to wait anymore. He gave me a hug and kiss goodbye. He looked worried. I told him I would be alright.


Tonio had the patience of a saint. He was very comforting as I know I was a basket case. When the doctor came back, her face was twisted like she was sorry. From that point, I didn't want to hear it. She said the results came back with what she suspected: appendicitis. That couldn't be. I wasn't ready for that. I wasn't ready to have surgery right after Christmas. I panicked; I stood up and was about to yank the IV out of my arm when Tonio jumped up and reassured me everything would be alright. After a few minutes, I calmed down and laid back down on the stretcher. I didn't move to a room until well after 2:30 am. I was so thankful for my man. He stayed by me during it all. He kept me calm when I truly needed it. He stayed with me all the while I was getting set up. The surgical team came by and told me I would've been the first surgery of the day, but an important heart patient took precedence and I would be second. With that Tonio had to go home and get some rest. He was exhausted. I felt so bad.


I awoke several times during the night. I was nervous. Not only was I having surgery, but two days after Christmas. I had never had major surgery before and didn't know what to expect. All I had known was from TV Shows and the plots were pretty gruesome. After all they needed the ratings. I didn't need ratings, so I was hoping my plot wouldn't be that bad!

Tonio made it to the hospital about 30 minutes before they took me into surgery. He was my rock. Approximately 11:35 am, they came for me and I wanted to cry, but I stayed strong for him. I didn't want him to see me blubbering like a fool! He gave me a kiss and they wheeled me away. I was wheeled down the hall into the elevator, onto the surgical area. All I remember is the O.R. (operating room)-it was cold! They transferred me to the stretcher there. They kept asking me to scoot down and asked how tall I was. I was like dayum, who do you operate on? Midgets? Why are you having trouble getting me set up? I'm only 6 ft, not unordinarily tall. My anxiety was starting to set in. When they strapped my arms down, that really freaked me out! The anesthesia was put into my IV, then I was feeling calmer, but still freaked. Next they brought some warm blankets, that felt like they were just out of the dryer. Boy that felt good! Next they put a mask over my nose and mouth and asked me to inhale. That's all I remember.




Next thing I know I was looking up at the clock, it was like 1:30 pm and the nurse was putting some clear liquid in my IV. I was in and out of consciousness for a couple of minutes, and then I was awake. The nurse looked at my dressing and watched over me for about 45 minutes. Then I was transferred back to my room. The TV was on, but I was in and out of sleep. I remember hearing voices, my aunts (my mother's sisters) came by to visit. It was good to see them. They stayed about an hour. When they left I fell out again. Next thing I remember seeing Tonio. He was carrying a balloon and some flowers and a card.




It was so good to see him. He kissed me and asked me how I was. It was so good to see him. We talked a little bit and I was dozing again. He told me to sleep, while he just watched over me. A little while later, I heard voices, it was my mom, my brother and his girlfriend and junior. Tonio got chairs for everyone and we all joked around. It felt really good to see everyone. Yes, it was good to know that family is there for you when you need them! Sensing that I was tired, everyone started to leave. I gave junior a big hug and told him not to worry. My brother told me he'd call me to see if I needed anything. I told my mom to take care of her knee. When they left, it was just me and Tonio. Seeing him there made me so proud, so happy to have him in my life. He stayed with me just past when visiting hours ended. He said he'd come by tomorrow. We kissed and I settled in for another sleepless night with that IV in my arm limiting my movement.

Throughout the night I was awakened so my vitals could be taken, my IV bags changed. I felt a little better. My breakfast was french toast and OJ. I hadn't eaten solid food in over 48 hours, and I didn't want to make myself sick, so I ate only a little. The surgical team came by to check on me mid morning (around 10 am) and took a look at their handiwork. He was everything went smooth and asked if I wanted to go home. Was he kidding? Of course! He said he would get the discharge papers ready. I immediately called Tonio and told him of the good news. He said he would be there shortly. I disrobed and put on my clothes and waited patiently in the bed. I got caught up on the 'House' marathon the USA channel was running for the weekend. The man with the wheelchair came and wheeled me down to the entrance. Antonio had just pulled up. Perfect timing. We drove straight to the pharmacy and filled my prescriptions and he drove me home. It felt so good to be out of the hospital!

This ordeal has taught me to expect the unexpected and know that I have good people in my life. What an excellent thought for entering a brand new year.

Tonio, thank you for loving me and for being there.

8 comments:

Darius T. Williams said...

Tonio? Who's that - another name for Cocoa, I hope?!?!

I'm glad you're alright!

That Dude Right There said...

I'm glad that you're ok. Now next time you're in pain, go straight to the hospital.

Unknown said...

I sure as hell better be Tonio or some other nikka's been sneakin' around me showin' some primo stealth skills! LOL

I'm so glad you're okay pa...you're my baby and I'm always gonna take care of you - know that.

Here's to no more body-part donations in the future. ;)

Achilles said...

D - Si, claro! Tonio=Cocoa. LOL Thanks. How's the cooking show going?

TDRT - Thank you. Yes, I have insurance so I do not hesitate when I feel pain.

Baby, I'm so grateful for you. To say 'thank you', isn't enough. You know you have my heart.

Shannon Lee said...

And we all breathe a sigh of relief...so glad you're okay sweetie! Hugs to all!!

P.S. Laughing to myself because I have struggled to maintain consistency in referring to "Tonio" vs. "Cocoa" vs. "his gov't name" when commenting on your posts. Now I guess it doesn't really matter anymore as long as I'm not calling out the latter, right? Ha!!

Darius T. Williams said...

Yo - the TAPINGS are going great. We'll be all set to air on 1/11/09 - just keep at my blog for details. Oh - I think you're on my e-mail list too - so don't worry, you'll be notified via e-mail.

Achilles said...

~K - Thanks for the wishes. ;-)
No, it doesn't matter. "Tonio" is a name that I use. It's a running joke we have.

Happy Holidays to you and your family! Best wishes.

Achilles said...

D - Best of luck with the cooking. I'll be watching! QQ