
The holidays are coming! Every year it’s the same thing. To find the perfect gift. I take my time in the selection process. Children and adults alike. I like to know a little about the person before buying them a gift. (With cards it’s even worse!)
When selecting a gift, I try to match the gift with the person. Many times I won't know what to get but once I'm in the store, I see something, it "clicks" and I buy it. This year is no different. Of course you want to be practical, but also something that the person really wants/needs.
There are some people I know what to get. It's a no-brainer. For some, I'll see an item in a catalog or online and know its "the" gift. And for the rest I'll let the gift choose them. Some people are harder to shop for than others. But what makes me feel good is the joy I get out of watching their face as they unwrap their gift.
'Tis the season and all that crap!
Only 9 more shopping days ‘til Christmas.
When selecting a gift, I try to match the gift with the person. Many times I won't know what to get but once I'm in the store, I see something, it "clicks" and I buy it. This year is no different. Of course you want to be practical, but also something that the person really wants/needs.
There are some people I know what to get. It's a no-brainer. For some, I'll see an item in a catalog or online and know its "the" gift. And for the rest I'll let the gift choose them. Some people are harder to shop for than others. But what makes me feel good is the joy I get out of watching their face as they unwrap their gift.
'Tis the season and all that crap!
Only 9 more shopping days ‘til Christmas.
5 comments:
You're so unlike me - I never buy Christmas presents...never.
Why the "Bah Hum Bug"? Turned off by the commercialism the holidays have turned into?
Nah, no bah hum bug - I'm just not into the whole gift giving for once a year - I mean, I'm much more of a let met do something for you in July kinda guy. I don't have to wait until Christmas to give gifts. PLUS, you've gotta admit - we've become really commercialized w/Christmas.
You sound EXACTLY like me. I toil over what to get based on the person's interests or tastes--especially if its something they can display in their home. Unlike my aunt who insists on giving my mom (her sister) stuff that SHE likes for herself, but has no place in my mother's home or wardrobe. I know that the holiday is supposed to be about the birth of Jesus...but for my family (even my aunt) it's about seeing the joy on the faces of my loved ones when they unwrap the gifts chosen just for them.
Ho ho ho!! :)
~Kahlua~
Darius - No doubt. I feel you on that. I do give all year long, but around Christmas, it's just more so. Guess it dates back to childhood. Have so many fond memories of the holidays and family. Want to uphold the tradition. But YES, it's become super-commercialized!
~Kahlua~ - Yes, nothing gives me a feeling like that of joy on the faces of the people I got gifts for. Oprah said it best, there's no feeling quite like 'giving'.
Post a Comment