Sunday, October 05, 2008

The Honeymoon



I've always heard "the honeymoon" phase of a relationship is only in the beginning. You know how when you first meet someone, it's all easy going and romantic, that's referred to as "the attraction". Next up is "the honeymoon" stage. It's not supposed to last longer than 3 to 6 months. After that the next stages are "the reality", "the commitment", "the marriage". By the end of the stages, people joke that the honeymoon's over. But why does it have to be? Each relationship is different and while there are basics that most relationships do go through, each is also very unique. Each has the potential to stay hot, steamy and ongoing. Like anything else, it has to be worked on.
Junior's mom watched him this weekend, so Tonio and I were able to share some quality "us" time. We decided to hit the movies Friday after work and check out the highly anticipated Eagle Eye. It was definitely action packed and surprisingly we both enjoyed it better than The Dark Knight (Imagine that!) though it did have some similarities to I, Robot and The Net. I don’t want to spoil it for you, so I’ll say no more. Shia Labeouf was good and reminds me of a young Tom Cruise. When they have to, they can both haul ass! He ran his butt off in Transformers, and this movie was no different.
Anyway, Tonio and I spent a romantic, low-key weekend. We discussed our future together and short-term goals we each set for ourselves. Being that we’re both affectionate and tuned into each other’s frequency, we've never had a problem with our 'honeymoon' phase. That’s one phase for us, that I see lasting always. To me the romance doesn't have to go out of a relationship. I may view things a little different than most, but if the romance dies it's due to one or both parties not investing time and effort. I see it as neglect and something that has been taken for granted. Look at it this way (i.e.) in the summer, you have a nice green, healthy lawn. If you chose not to pay attention to it and don’t water it, what will eventually happen? It will dry out and begin to wither. Once that's set in, you can water it all you want, but it may be too late. Your lawn is now unhealthy and can die. The same can be said for a relationship. Don't wait for it to start getting bad, before action is taken. That's something that should be nurtured and worked on from the very beginning. As is the case with Tonio and I. We started out as friends and it's developed into this relationship that brings out the best in both of us. This didn't happen overnight, it's something that's always been constantly worked on and appreciated (even during our break up). Anyway, Saturday, we had a great day that turned into an even greater night. Relaxing at home, we did some chores around the house, cooked, cleaned and finally settled in to watching some movies. In the midst of cuddling, I started licking his exposed neck. That coupled with the heat of his body and his delectable scent, was more than enough to get my fires going! We started kissing and that ultimately led up to hours of intense passion that made my toes curl. That man has always turned me on in some way, shape or form. Everything about him makes me melt. From his laugh, to his jokes, to the way his eyes crinkle up when he's talking, to the nape of his neck that I can't resist. And we're not even going to talk about his muscular legs and that round derriere that on sight, always raises my heart rate!! It's all this and so much more than the physical. There’s his intellect, sense of humor and his fresh perspective on issues. I admire and respect him as a person. The fact that he’s my man makes it all that much better. It’s easy to love all the things about him.

In bed sleeping, sometimes I'll just look over and stare at him. I feel like the luckiest man alive. Make no mistake; I don’t take anything for granted. Our relationship works, because we both make an effort and invest the time to keep it exciting. Some people put more work, time and effort into buying an HDTV or coordinating an outfit to hang out with their friends, than working on their own relationship. And they later wonder why a) they were cheated on or b) why their relationship has fizzled. If they were to focus half that energy on their partner that spark and excitement would always be kept alive.
So you ask, do I feel if my honeymoon is almost over? No, I don't. Fifty years from now, old and decrepit, I see myself as affectionate and as in love if not more, to this man of mine. I don't expect it to ever end. Tonio, baby, you’re the greatest!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I got two new cavities reading your profession of love.

Reunited and it feeelllsss so gooooddd...

Achilles said...

You're Peaches, I'm Herb. Hit it!

"I spent the evening with the radio
Regret the moment that I let you go
Our quarrel was such a way of learning so much
I know now that I love you
'Cause I need your touch, hey, hey

Reunited and it feels so good
Reunited 'cause we understood
There's one perfect fit
And, sugar, this one is it
We both are so excited
'Cause we're reunited, hey, hey"

Unknown said...

Happy boi...you are my life's honeymoon...I love you and growing old with you is my heart's joy!

Shannon Lee said...

Dag...your description of Tonio's physique and all that passion got MY heart racing!!! I feel like such a PERV now!! LOL I must be way overdue at home!! Gonna go re-ignite my own honeymoon phase before its too late!

~Kahlua~

Achilles said...

~kahlua~ If you feel like that, imagine me! :-D Hope the job's coming along-you deserve it!