
Junior cracked his front tooth over the weekend. First thing Monday, I called the dentist and made an appointment to have it fixed. Since it was during the week, we were both able to sleep in a little, get some breakfast at Mickey D's, get our haircut, and then head to the dentist. We arrived about 11:40 AM for a 12:00 PM appointment.
I watched the big screen TV, while he played with his GameBoy. Arriving early, I didn't think we'd wait long. I didn't know how wrong that assumption would be. We waited...we waited...and we waited some more. While it didn't bother me (too much) junior was impatient as any 9-year old would be.
The waiting room had a cast of characters. First, the receptionist could battle Amy Winehouse as far as eye make up was concerned. She had jet-black eyeliner that went up into the corners of her eyes for a dramatic 'cat look'. But unlike Amy's anorexic figure, this chick was round. No kidding. She didn't look fat at all...just round. She had no figure. No visible hips, neck, waist. She looked like a giant beach ball, with long hair.
Next was this guy who apparently was there the day before. Upon his arrival the receptionist, called out to him: "You again? Have a seat, I'll call you in a few." From what he told the people sitting next to him, the surgeon who performed his root canal, didn't something wrong, because it never stopped hurting. The left side of his face looked like he was hiding a huge jaw breaker in his cheek. He took a small cup (from the water cooler) and proceeded to spit every now and then into the cup. Talk about grossed out. Every time I heard him I wanted to hurl!
Next this lady was on her cell phone talking to someone OUT LOUD. She discussed everything from birth control, to grocery shopping to why he needed to get a job and that she was through lending him money. I swear sometimes I wish cell phones were never invented. I felt like the old Bugs Bunny cartoons when he holds up a sign "Is this trip really necessary?". That whole conversation didn't need to happen right then and there.
The final straw that took me over the edge was the oral surgeon who apparently was only there on Wednesdays, kept walking back and forth, from the waiting area to the room, with headphones in his ear. At first I thought he was listening to music. I figured it calmed him as he did his thing. Then I realized that it was connected to his cell phone and he was holding a conversation with someone. Along with not being professional, he was cursing and having inappropriate talk in the business place. At one point he turned around and I saw the price tag from either his sweater or pants sticking out. What a ass, I thought to myself. Then, this trifling m*tha f*cka, started making faces to his co-workers about an older guy he was working on. A failed attempt at being funny. Not only did they not think it was funny, when the co-worker saw that I saw him, she turned around and walked away from him. He then looked at me with a nervous smile, and I gave him, the "you're-a-poor-excuse-of-an-oral-surgeon-look", complete with one raised eyebrow and a slow, roll of the eyes followed by an even slower turn of the head. He got embarrassed and disappeared somewhere in the back.
Just as I was about to lose my patience and my mind-junior's name was called.
Junior's dentist took x-rays, saw the problem and bonded the tooth. He told me that when he got older (18-19) he would need a crown for the tooth. That goodness he was on the ball! He didn't know it yet, but he would never see us again!
I can't wait until next year, when my new insurance kicks in and junior gets to go back to his old dentist. She's a black woman, very professional and caters to children only. Not only did I not have to wait an hour and 42 minutes, but the people I would encounter were pleasant to be around and not so f*cking ghetto!!
No comments:
Post a Comment