I spoke to my mother not too long ago and she was upset, crying - the works. She went to the doctor a couple of weeks ago for a routine check-up. The doctor called last week to say they want her to come back in. Apparently her x-rays showed a spot on her lungs. They said its probably nothing, but that they wanted to make sure. She had a second x-ray and it came up the same as the first. Now he wants her to go for a CAT scan and that has her freaking out. Confidentially-it has me freaking out as well!
Being the oldest, she doesn't want me to tell my younger brothers. She doesn't want to worry them unnecessarily. What about me? One of the perks of being the eldest child, I do all the worrying. I don't mind. I know she needs to talk to someone and vent. I'm glad she can confide in me. But at the same time I just hope I can be strong for the both of us. I have to be.
I don't know much about CAT scans, so I don't know what to expect. I'm going to educate myself and surf the web. Gonna read up on it. This way I won't be in the total dark and can even give her some additional insight.

Above is CT of the lungs. This is used demonstrate the vessels and air ways - not intended to demonstrate the heart, spine muscles etc. This is used to look for things like pneumonia or lung cancer.
5 comments:
I trust and believe she'll be fine. I'm not so confident in one-shot findings or doctor's in need of driving business.
I've had a CAT scan before and it wasn't a bad experience. I understand that most people are afraid of what will be found. I'm always afaid of what won't be found if I don't do what the doctor suggests.
True dat, true dat. Makes sense. It's the fear of the unknown.
I'm wayyy late in catching up on my blog family...but wanted to say this about THAT----information is POWER. I find that learning as much as I can about things that frighten me--especially health-related issues--replaces the fear with power. It will make you stronger and more able to carry the weight of supporting your mom through whatever journey is ahead. Good luck sweetheart...all the best to you and your mother!
Hi Kahlua, better late than never! Hope is going well with you and your family!
Thanks for the heartfelt wishes. Yes, knowledge is power. I feel stronger already! :-)
Post a Comment