
Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold were the perpetrators.
Their plan was to set propane bombs throughout the school to cause a diversion. When panicked students came running out, they would shoot them. However, when the bombs failed to explode Harris and Klebold armed themselves with their weapons, walked toward the building. At approximately 11:19 am the gunmen pulled out their shotguns and began shooting at the West Entrance of the school. Harris then removed his trench coat and took out a 9 mm semi-automatic carbine, and aimed it down the West Staircase. Harris and Klebold then turned and began shooting south at students sitting on the grassy knoll opposite the West Entrance of the school. The murderous rampage continued after the two shot their way into the cafeteria. It is speculated that Klebold did this to see why the bombs failed to explode. From there the two attempted to shoot at students near the soccer field, but luckily did not hit anyone. They threw pipe bombs at they made their way towards the West Entrance, none of which detonated.
After approximately 23 minutes of the bloody rampage, the pair went into the science area and threw a small fire bomb into an empty storage closet. They proceeded into the cafeteria where they were recorded by security cameras.
The recording shows Harris kneeling on the landing and firing a shot toward a propane bomb, unsuccessfully attempting to detonate it. It was here that Klebold lit a Molotov cocktail and threw it at the propane bomb. As the two left, the cafeteria it exploded, partially detonating one of the propane bombs.They left the cafeteria headed upstairs roaming the school, shooting aimlessly. At 12:02 pm, the shooters re-entered the library and shot at police through the west windows. Then at approximately 12:08 pm, they moved over near bookshelves where they shot themselves, committing suicide.
Bombs were found throughout the day all over the school including the parking lot, the roof and Klebold's car. At 10:45 pm, the bomb in the car detonated when an officer tried to defuse it. No one were injured, but the car of course was damaged.
When it was over, 12 students and one teacher were killed and 24 students injured as a direct result of the massacre. 3 more were injured indirectly as they attempted to escape the school.
Eric Harris (left), Dylan Klebold (right)

The massacre provoked debate regarding gun control laws, the availability of firearms in the United States, and gun violence involving youth. The shooting also resulted in an increased emphasis on school security, and a moral panic aimed at social outcasts, the gun culture, the use of pharmaceutical anti-depressants by teenagers, violent films and music and violent video games.
Weapons used: Intratech TEC-DC9, Hi-Point 995 Carbine, Savage 67H pump-action shotgun, Stevens 311D double barreled sawed-off shotgun.
QOTD
In your opinion has security gotten better or worse in schools across the country?
4 comments:
I remember, it was my first week at my current job. I sat at my new desk thinking "how horrible". But we live in the Bronx, and stuff like that had been going on in the streets in the schools, for what seemed like forever.
Sadly, it wasnt until some troubled little white kids broke crazy and shot up suburbia that GUN CONTROL became a major issue. Meanwhile, our children had fallen victim to gun violence so many times its a wonder the streets arent permanently red.
I agree with Caspar608. It is interesting to me that Columbine was labeled a tragedy in the media, but schools and cities that have a reputation for violence are just accepted as such.
I don't know what to say about your question. When visiting my parents, I often pass by my old high school. When I went, the campus was wide open and seemed like a safe place. Some 12, almost 13 years later, there is a spiked gate surrounding the campus. Is this to keep people in or out, I don't know. All I do know is this: TIMES HAVE CHANGED.
Cas & KK78 ~ What you both said is true. I didn't think of it like that. After what happened in Columbine, a predominantly white school, the media suddenly draws attention and tries to change laws and enforce gun control, meanwhile incidents at schools in other (urban) neighborhoods, go unreported and the same media turns the blind eye.
What's really going on here?
Well, I think it is pretty obvious what is going on... it is not rocket science.
I will say this though. I think the media ignores it in urban (inner) cities because the violence is only the outer layer of the situation. If it were to get to the root of the problem, it would be revealed that there is a whole lot more going on than just some young minority kids blowing off steam. Someone supplies the drugs, hires people to move them, bring guns into the community, etc.
The disturbing thing about Columbine is that this was a seriously planned incident. The boys' families were not in tune enough with the boys to see that something was seriously wrong there. I am sorry. There is no way I would not have been able to build bombs or have guns in my mother's house and she not know about it. Hell, it was hard enough finding time to jack off (hahahaha)!
I think that Columbine just showed that NO ONE is safe and every school is susceptible to some kind of foolishness.
TALK TO YOUR KIDS
Post a Comment