
In any relationship you're going to have differences of opinion. One person sees the glass from the right as half-full, the other sees it from the left as half-empty. How do you find your common ground?
Really and truly put yourself in the other person's shoes. Think how and why they said what they did and where they're coming from. When differences come up your first reaction may be surprise. Often, you may not realize what you're doing and how other people see you. What's important is not who's right or wrong, but how that person is feeling. That is the most important issue. If you can work through that, you're half-way home.
Open your mind and your ears and listen to what the other is saying and in some cases what they're not. Keep in mind, not everyone reacts exactly as you do. Not everyone sees things exactly as you do. Not everyone thinks exactly as you do. I'm not saying back down or "give in", but really listen. Sometimes differences can be a good thing -- they can make you see yourself through another's eyes.
Really and truly put yourself in the other person's shoes. Think how and why they said what they did and where they're coming from. When differences come up your first reaction may be surprise. Often, you may not realize what you're doing and how other people see you. What's important is not who's right or wrong, but how that person is feeling. That is the most important issue. If you can work through that, you're half-way home.
Open your mind and your ears and listen to what the other is saying and in some cases what they're not. Keep in mind, not everyone reacts exactly as you do. Not everyone sees things exactly as you do. Not everyone thinks exactly as you do. I'm not saying back down or "give in", but really listen. Sometimes differences can be a good thing -- they can make you see yourself through another's eyes.
6 comments:
This is so true. Both people need to be open enough and sensitive to each other. It takes some time but its so worth it.
It does take time and it takes a lot of effort to see things from your partner's perspective.
differences are difficult in a relationship, but finding the common ground shows you that you have a lot of LOVE for each other...
TT, CK, TGK ~ Yes, it takes time and dedication and willingness. Like everything else you have to be dedicated to the relationship in order to truly make a go of it.
Baby, thanks for taking a moment to try to see things from my perspective. We won't always agree, but I do hope we can always have respect for each other. I appreciate you...I appreciate your working with me to make this a great relationship and being my best friend.
No need to thank me. It's my commitment to you. It's the little things that if go unnoticed, can cause major problems later.
Like you always say, things don't 'just happen', there's always a beginning. Looking at a situation through your eyes lets me take a good look at myself. Your perception of me. That's very important. If I act surprised or seem shocked when you bring something to my attention, it's not that I want to be combative or defensive but because those actions weren't my intention. It's your perception of me that I don't like. I never want to hurt you and knowing that something I may have done is in fact hurting you, hurts me.
Respect is something we'll have for each other. It's been there since day one. I gladly work on our relationship as its very important to me and to us as a family.
Post a Comment