I couldn't really rest because Tonio and I were invited to celebrate our friend Evelyn's birthday at Hudson River Cafe'. Heading downtown, I was kind of quiet, had a lot on my mind. It was a pretty big turn out, I saw people I haven't seen in a while and even met some new people.
Evelyn looked fantastic! She had on a red top with sparkling diamond-like detail forming a "V" in the front, fitted dark blue jeans and red hot high heels. Topping it off were her shiny diamond hoop earrings. Yes, this was her night. I greeted everyone, made my introductions.I saw Mari and her girlfriend, Lulu or was it Nunu? (Hey the music was loud!). They came all the way from Jersey. They hadn't known anyone else there and were so happy when we walked in.
Still I was kind of worn from my hectic week. About an hour and a half into the party, a hip hop song came on and I bolted into the 'now'. I danced and would continue to do so for the rest of the night. The DJ played hip hop, R & B, rap, reggae and Spanish music. Let's just say I sweated so much, my drawers were soaked! Thought a primarily 'straight' environment (my gaydar pointed out a few 'members'), Tonio and I managed to dance together and initially raised a couple of eyebrows. But by the end of the night those same people when leaving came over to us to shake our hands and say goodbye. Music seemed to bring everyone together. I guess they realized we were all there for Evelyn and to have a good time. Who cares what sexual orientation people are! I was in my own world on the dance floor. Though half Latino, I am a bit challenged when it comes to salsa and merengue, but tried my best after being coerced on the dance floor by Evelyn's sister, Millie who really knows how to shake it!
She pulled me up and gave me some lessons. Good thing I'm a quick learner. When the bachata came on, all bets were off, though! I had to sit down.Three hours later I was still dancing. Our crowd took over as we revived the dances of yesterday: the wop, the prep, the running man, the Kid 'N Play, the Jerry Lewis, and a couple of others I couldn't name but joined in. You name it, we took it back. By the end of the night, I felt recharged and was feeling good. (Though now my feet are throbbing like Fred Flintstone). Just goes to show you the magic of music. It's just what the doctor ordered.
Happy Birthday, Evelyn. May you have many more! You looked absolutely fabulous last nite!
Thanks for having us. Love you!
NAME THAT SONG
Is there a particular song that gets you up and on the dance floor?
1 comment:
i'm taking it old skool Luke w/ Doo Doo Brown, get me up EVERY TIME!
Post a Comment