Thursday, March 26, 2009

I Now Pronounce You Husband and Ex-Husband



Perusing the news online I came across an article that had me doing a double take. It seems a couple in Omaha, Nebraska just got married. This is the second time for her (Nicole, 42) and first time for him (Mathew, 22). Shortly after their wedding, she had left a job and found a temp position and he lost his higher-paying job. Naturally they fell behind in rent and the bills started piling up. Within a couple of months, Mathew landed a temporary job at Wal-Mart but by then their finances were much too shaky for them to be on their own. The solution: the ex-husband Craig, also 42, suggested his ex-wife and new husband move in with him. Nicole agreed.

On the flip side, Craig and Nicole's two daughters (ages 7 and 6) no longer have to shuttle between two households, as they're all under one roof, never need a babysitter, take turns making meals and is a good way to save money. Craig and Nicole said that when they were going through a divorce just four years ago in 2005, they would have never thought of striking this deal. But they were able to put the nasty custody battle behind them and move on years ago, before Nicole ever met Mathew. Now especially in this tough financial climate, it seems beneficial for all.


Craig lives in a three-bedroom, one-bath home. Nicole said the transition has been smooth and great for the kids and for their benefit, irrespective of finances, she thinks it's a living situation they'll stick with for at least five to ten years! What she is trying to teach her girls is that divorced parents can work together and be friends.

The ex-husband Craig says "I don't hear them, so we're not going there. There's a bathroom between our two bedrooms." Craig hasn't dated since the divorce. He said it's because he's been focused on work and taking care of the kids. Nicole, however, said that she and her husband are forever trying to get Craig on the dating scene and want him to meet someone special. She also quoted as saying, "He'd have to find a very open-minded woman because we don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon."


I can find about 10 things wrong with that! LOL
I know people say ‘never say never’, but I don't think I could. 1) I have too many family and friends that I could live with if God forbid matters got that bad. And 2) you know your boy Tonio ain’t having it! Living with an ex and he’s single?! Oh hell no! It ain’t going down like that! The 3 of us will be living in a cardboard box first!
But hey it works for them (for now anyway), so who am I to judge? I just know it couldn't be me. I’d love to see what happens 9 – 12 months from now. Maybe I’ll keep the reporters name and see if they can do a follow up story.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT
Could you live with an ex and presently be in a relationship under any circumstance?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

wow makes me realize that my living situation isn't weird @ all...

Darius T. Williams said...

LOL - now this is waaay funny. I'm thinking "is this serious?!?!" But with the way the world is today - I'm so sure it is.

Achilles said...

TGK ~ After reading that article no living situation will ever be weird again.

D ~ It couldn't be more serious. It's on CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/personal/03/26/couple.lives.with.ex/index.html?iref=newssearch)

And to top it off the wife has a blog and is talking about it! BLOG ADDRESS: http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-233032

That Dude Right There said...

I think that it may be a abnormal situation, but if the children are happy, then so be it. They should be the focus of all 3 parents. You have to do what you have to do.

Achilles said...

TDRT ~ I totally agree. I'm not knocking it, just saying it's not for me. Shee-it, in these hard times people gotta do what they gotta do to survive!