Thursday, March 12, 2009

Judging Books

My Day: The local bus is super late this morning getting me to the train so I take the express bus to work. I get in later than usual and jump into my day with both feet running. I take the train home, wait for the bus, stop off at the supermarket, and pick up my son. It's been that kind of a day.

I figure I'll treat myself and take a cab home. The black Lincoln pulls up and I see the driver. He's Jamaican, long dreads, on his cell, heavy accent. I figure here we go. From past experience as soon as I get in the car, the island music is blaring and I can't hear myself think. I have to ask them to turn it down. WRONG!

Was I in for a surprise. I get in the cab to music, but it's not Jamaican music. I was surprised, shocked in fact to hear- -Kenny Rogers. And he was singing one of my favorite songs, The Gambler. I buckled up, sat back and joined in the chorus. He had a Kenny Rogers CD playing.

You have to get into the lyrics, they are so true!! Needless to say, here I was making an assumption based on what I saw only to find out, it was nothing like I thought. Talk about judging a book by it's cover.


Chorus:
You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away and know when to run
You never count your money, when youre sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done


FOOD FOR THOUGHT:
When have you made a quick judgement about someone thinking you had them pegged to the "T", only to find out you were totally wrong?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm more likely to mistakenly change my mind to avoid guilt than make the wrong assessment at the onset

That Dude Right There said...

We've all been guilty of it. If you haven't, then you aren't human.

BTW, I LOVE that song!!!

Achilles said...

CR ~ You're good. I usually don't, but sometimes things seem so cut and dry. It's only later we find out they're not.

TDRT ~ Me too! That songs says it all.