Friday, May 08, 2009

X Marks The Spot

I'm a huge X-Men fan. And I have the plastic milk crates of comic books to prove it. Is the movie franchise getting carried away...yes. But I'll still be there to support Marvel. My son who is becoming a fan has questions as to mutant origins and I'm there to fill in the blanks. Over the past weekend, Tonio, he and I saw 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'. Loved it. Not exactly in the same vein as the previous X-Men movies, but it was a welcomed edition.

From E! Online:
Wolverine Sequel Already in the Works

X marks the spot for a Wolverine sequel.
Just two days after Hugh Jackman's domination of the box office—Box Office Mojo estimates the film's worldwide gross at $158.2 million and counting—comes the rather unsurprising word that a follow-up to the origin story is already in the works.
According to Variety, the sequel, which will mark Jackman's fifth time donning the killer claws, will focus on the X-Men comic's samurai storyline, the Japanese locale setup for which is teased after the blockbuster film's end credits.
Meanwhile, the action star Oscar host is showing no signs of slowing—or being typecast—with no fewer than four other projects in the works, one of which will be a 2010 return to Broadway as the titular Houdini.

It's official: The mutants are taking over Hollywood. And we're not talking about the freaks running the studios.

Following the monster weekend for X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and a day after announcing that a Hugh Jackman-powered sequel is in the works, 20th Century Fox has confirmed to E! News that Jackman's costar Ryan Reynolds will be given his own spinoff and potential franchise-launcher as the Marvel Comics antihero Deadpool.
The 32-year-old Canadian actor, otherwise known as Mr. Scarlett Johansson, will again star as Wade Wilson, a wisecracking, cancer-stricken mercenary who's cured of the disease after undergoing the same Weapon X genetic alteration as Wolverine.
But along with superhuman powers, enhanced strength and self-regenerating healing powers, the slightly unhinged Deadpool can absorb the abilities of dead and captured mutants.

Aside from Deadpool and the Wolverine sequel, Fox is also working on an X-Men spinoff focusing on Ian McKellen's villainous Magneto and another dubbed X-Men: First Class, which is being written by The O.C. creator Josh Schwartz.

4 comments:

Tom Thumb said...

I'm an Xmen fan as well. Wasn't really one growing up but in my early twenties I found my inner child and discovered I loved to live in fantasy land, where mutants ruled!

Unknown said...

I am a fan...thought the movie was okay...

Unknown said...

I'm a huge fan...my love for the whole X-Men thing started with the movies, but still, I'm so intrigued by the whole thing. I sometimes think of myself as a mutant of sorts...guess what my weakness is....it's yo' ....
LOL

Anonymous said...

I was disappointed with Origins to the point that it put my ass to sleep.

The gratuitous nudity scenes...with Jackman jumping naked down a water fall and running in the buff through a field were corny as hell.

Pheonix needs to have her own flick. Word.