Monday, May 11, 2009

Gonna Party Like It's My Birthday

Had a great time yesterday. It was a quality day with just Tonio and myself. My mom and junior went on a Mother's Day dinner cruise with my grandparents. After each doing the Mother's Day thing, Tonio and I headed out.



We hit a soul food restaurant in the city where I absolutely, without a doubt, ate way too much. But hey it's not everyday I get to eat good meal withouth having to do the dishes, so I went for it! I had smothered pork chops, potato salad, macaroni & cheese, collard greens while Tonio had the B-B-Q pork chops with a sauce that was out off the chain!! It was finger-lickin' good. I should know, people looked at me funny as I licked the sauce off his fingers! To top it off the waitress brought over a piece of cake with a candle in it and starts to sing 'Happy Birthday', while half the restaurant joined in. Yea I turned as red as a beet.





From there we hit the movies. Saw Star Trek . It was all that. I have to admit, I was pretty skeptical about the storyline and how it was going to be put together. I needn't have worried. It was a crowd-pleaser from beginning to end! The casting was great, the plot was good and the bits and pieces we learned from the characters made it a very informative and entertaining movie! It had just the right amount of action. Just the right amount of humor and enough to keep us engaged without losing the audience. We both enjoyed it thoroughly!





It was a great evening. Quiet, intimate, perfect. I've never been a 'birthday' person. Didn't like to celebrate mine or make a big fuss. I've always liked celebrating others'. But lately as I'm running into people who I either went to school or grew up with, and I'm finding out that many people I knew growing up are not with us anymore. They've passed on. It made me think. I'm fortunate to be able to celebrate another year. Something I took for granted. I'm looking at my birthday with brand new eyes. I'm learning to count my blessings. When your special day comes around - celebrate. If for nothing else, think of the people who wish they could but never got the opportunity.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your birthday baby...it's a day I'm especially grateful for...the gift of you. I love you!

kennyking78 said...

You know, you have got a lot of nerve! hahaha I thought that your "May 10th- Taurus" post was odd. It felt like a bday post, but you did not add your picture or description. I almost told you Happy Birthday, but did not want to have egg on my face! lol

Anyways, Happy Belated Birthday!

Star Trek was truly the bomb! Go back and see it in iMax if you didn't!

Umm. I am sad to hear that people you went to school with are already passing on. From what I can see in the pics, you can't be that old, which means they couldn't be either. So sad.

Well, here's to many more of your bdays!

Achilles said...

KK78 ~ Yea, I tried to keep in on the DL. Never liked to make a big fuss. I didn't add my description cuz I don't know what I want to be when I grow up. LOL
Thanks for the bday wishes.

Yes, Star Trek was "it"! I think I'm gonna have to go back and see it again...in iMax!