Well today I got the surprise of my life. Tonio insisted on taking me out for a Father's Day dinner. We have 6:00 reservations in the city. At first I told him we agreed on saving money to move in and we really shouldn't incur this expense. He insisted it was for "Father's Day" and that we should go out and enjoy ourselves for one night. Okay fine, I thought. We both deserve it.
Now this was a crazy weekend: My younger brother comes in from Florida for a visit, we hung out for part of the weekend, while my baby brother moved into his apartment with his girlfriend (soon-to-be-wifey). Between helping him move, carrying boxes and furniture and playing taxi for my other brother, rest was the last thing I would get.
Today for Father's Day, my mom decides to cook. My aunt, cousins and grandparents come for dinner. With everyone together, naturally everyone bought a camera and wanted to take pictures and have a toast to my grandfather. Me being the oldest I was elected to make the toast (it was quite eloquent if I do say so myself). At about the time the first pictures were taken, Tonio called to say he was downstairs. I know what a stickler for time he is so I try to make a dash. My mom calls me to take a picture with my brothers. I try to dash out again, that's when my aunt calls my name and volunteers me to make the toast. Each minute passing, it's getting later and later. I finally give everyone kisses, tell my brother (the middle one) goodbye as he has a plane to catch back to Florida and I head downstairs. As I get in the car, Tonio's face is made. I tell him what happened and I feel the glare on the left side of my face. It's Father's Day, I don't want to argue so I suck it up and try to put it past us. I suggest we call the restaurant and let them know we're running late and push back our reservation by half an hour. He calls, they say no problem, it's 5:22-we're on our way. We head downtown and of course traffic is ridiculous. Tonio weaves in and out, takes a couple of shortcuts and we're in the city. We get to the restaurant at 6:30 on the dot. I'm thinking "We made it." We'll have a nice dinner and celebrate our day.
We finally arrive and we walk toward the back of the restaurant. As we're about to be seated I see someone who resembles one of my best friends, Maria. As I walk closer...it is her! Next to her, lowering the menu so I see his face is Baz. I'm like okay this is a set up. I'm thinking they surprised me for Father's Day. We sit down, I give them a hug and kiss. I'm shocked that they're here. Before I get out another word, Tonio's looking nervous and starts talking a mile a minute. I didn't know what was going on. He says here in front of my friends, he has a question to ask. My curiosity's piqued. He says would I spend of the rest of my life with him...(I don't hear anything past that!) My face is flushed and I'm thinking, 'this isn't what I think it is'. I joke around thinking this must be a joke. I see everyone's serious and looking into his eyes, I see he's not joking. I say 'yes'. He then goes into a bag and pulls out a white box and hands it to me. I'm speechless. My heart's racing and its in my throat. I open the box and take out a case. I open the case and it's the prettiest ring I've ever seen. It has seven diamond going across the top. By now my eyes are watering and I'm choked up. I say yes again and put the ring and give him the biggest kiss. Baz and Maria are looking at us with the "happy faces". Then Baz starts clicking pictures. I was in shock. Everything now made sense. I see why he wanted to go out.
After a delicious meal, we headed down the block for a drink. We had a great time. Heading back home, I kept looking at the ring and things started adding up, like why he was so insistent on going out to dinner and why he was freaking when we were running late. I was so emotional. Today has been a day I'll never forget.
Thank you baby. I look forward to spending the rest of my life with you. Growing, learning, loving. My forever came today.
4 comments:
I'm so glad my forever came today because I was at the end of my rapidly fraying rope with anxiety! I couldn't breathe!! Thanks for giving me the opportunity to make you happy for life.
Conradulations man. It's been a long time coming. You deserve the very best.
Congratulations to the both of you!!! You guys make a beautiful couple.
TT & SCW ~ Thank you so much!
Post a Comment