Tuesday, June 02, 2009

A Big F'ing Mouth

So I’m on the train this morning, on my way to work. This teenaged girl is about two feet away from me talking to her girlfriend at what must be at the top of her lungs. She has a slight Jamaican accent and using patois. I found this funny because she was saying how she can’t stand when someone in their circle speaks in Spanish and she feels like asking the girl to ‘speak English, I can’t understand you’.

I was in the middle of reading my latest book, The Beach House and instantly had thoughts of wrapping my hand in her hair and pummeling her face into door, in order to shut her up. It wouldn’t have been so bad and usually I can drown people out, but she had the kind of voice that was not only irritating, but escalatingly (yea, I know that’s not a real word) loud! I looked over at her a couple of times with the ‘You’re-irritating-me’ look, to which she ignored. I couldn’t very well be a hypocrite and expect anything less, I was on New York City Transit after all. I put my book away and put on the old trusty iPod to which I turned up the volume and started humming and moving my head up and down in rhythm to the music. After about the third song, big mouf’s friend giggles and big mouf looks annoyed. My music was probably distracting. Imagine that. Good ol’ Boyz To Men came on with Motownphilly and it was a wrap. I proceeded to do a run through of not only the song but the video. I glanced over and she gave me the look, which needless to say I ignored. Two stops and three songs later, big mouf and party exited the train. I lowered my music and laughed to myself.

I know when I was her age my friends and I had our fun, but dayam! That was too much to take.

QOTD - Question of the Day
Do you think kids today are that much different that kids of say twenty years ago? And if so, what big differences do you notice?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

the game is the same, but rules done change...

Tom Thumb said...

You should have japped her once. She wouldh ave gotten the message.

That Dude Right There said...

I don't think that kids are that much different than kids of 20 years ago. From what I remember, kids were just as loud, rebellious and disrespectful back them.