Saturday, January 10, 2009

Be #1

Fourteen days ago, I was unconscious in an operating room, arms spread, naked as a jay bird, just waiting to being cut into. The last two weeks of recovery have been great. It was a little rough in the beginning-only sleeping on my back, changing the dressing on the incision, unable to fully stretch, biting my lip to deal with pain every time I forget and raise my arm, get into a car, or turn too fast. I've had a lot of time to recuperate and relax. It's done me a world of good.


The surgery has taught me is to s...l...o...w... down. My normal pace has been pretty hectic and rarely do I slow down except to sleep. After the surgery I had no choice but to slow down. And guess what, I was still able to get everything accomplished that I needed to, plus having time for myself. Housework, homework, cooking, dishes, some serious TV watching and squeezing in one or two naps in during the day. Aaaah, the joy of being home.


This week I'll be returning to work. I'm going to miss my time off, but who was it that said, "All good things must come to an end"? I've learned my lesson; life is too short, take time for you. Enjoy some guilt-free 'me' time for yourselves. I've learned that if something doesn't get done one day, it's okay, there's the next day. The important thing is to take care of me, so I don't burn out. It's good to do for everyone, but you have to include yourself in that equation. Make yourself a priority-you deserve it.


On another note, Congrats to fellow blogger Darius (http://www.dariustwilliams.blogspot.com) on his newly launched food website: http://www.everydaycooking.com/ I am so eager to try that coconut spinach. I need some new food ideas.

2 comments:

That Dude Right There said...

Believe me I know how you feel. My accident back in November taught me that same lesson.

Darius T. Williams said...

That's right - life sometimes has a way of making us realize when we're going just a bit too fast.

Thanks for the shout out too sir!