What do mohawks, Toyota Echos, Nissans, very narrow two-way streets and Burger King have in common? They’re in abundance in Puerto Rico!
It seems like the Mohawk hairstyle was a hit on the island. Young, old, Latin, Moreno, blanquito, it didn’t discriminate. Dry, soaked with gel, short, long, it was ‘the’ “do” of the day!
The Toyota Echo and the Nissan Versa and Sentra were among the most popular cars in Puerto Rico. Because of the narrow streets, the smalls cars fared well!
Coming off of an 8-day vacation with my baby has been the best! We were able to connect and spend quality time together. We met up with a few of our friends to make his 40th birthday a great one! We all had a fantastic time. Thanks to Evelyn Maldonado, Alan, Paul, Maria. You made this birthday vacation memorable for both of us and we’re very grateful. At first I was a saddened because junior didn’t join us. It was the first time we were apart from each other for that long. 
I realized that parents need some time away from their children every so often to clear their minds, give them a break and in the end make them better parents for having that break. Next time junior—you’re there!
The places we visited were absolutely amazing! From the heights and the sights of El Yunque (the rainforest), to the historic foundations of Old San Juan and El Morro, to the plush and serene hotels and the gorgeous beaches. I myself am not really a “beach person” per se. Or should I say ‘wasn’t’, I was so enthralled at how everyone’s attitude there was. There were plenty of people on the beach who should under no circumstance (EVER) don on a bathing suit, but nevertheless there they were, suited up and had an ‘I don’t care attitude’.
Not arrogant or rude, but of confidence. This amazed me, since here everyone is so absorbed with how we look and pass judgement on everyone else. This put me at ease. So much so that I had an air of confidence. I put on my bathing suit and Tonio and I hit the beach almost every day. The beach seems to agree with Tonio. He was so content and happy. That made me feel good.
We hit the clubs, ate at different restaurants and of course Starbucks was never far behind if we wanted a mocha frappe or iced chai tea! This had to be the most relaxing, fulfilled vacation I’ve ever had. A special thanks to Alan and Paul for driving with us and sharing in the treasures of the island. We loved having you.
P.S. – Paul, did you hear from Domingo yet??
On a brighter note, Tonio’s parents welcomed us from the very beginning. Tonio’s mother cooked for us, shared old family photos and we all went to visit his family in the different towns where I was introduced to his mothers' brothers and sisters and their families. Tonio’s father, who was said not to be talkative, shared his like of baseball games and wrestling with me. One day out of the blue, Tonio’s dad came up to me in the kitchen and we just started talking. He really opened up. He told me how his father came to the New York when he was a boy and he and his mother came later. How he met his wife when they were young teenagers. How they would write to each other and eventually her moving to join him and begin their life together. He shared when they got married. The different jobs he’s had over the years, raising his children, moving back to Puerto Rico to be with his wife and youngest children, etc. As he spoke in my head I heard Tonio say ("Don't take it personal, he doesn't really talk a lot to anyone.") What surprised me was when he talked about the joys of spending time with his family when they were younger and they would go to the zoo, park, etc., He said it was important that his son (Tonio), myself and Junior do things together as a family. You could have knocked me over with a feather. It was a very special and meaningful talk that I will always remember. Thank you Dad.
As we drove to the airport on our last day, a calm happiness overwhelmed me. I reflected on the past days and thanking God for this time. Between the pictures and our memories, it will go down as one of the greatest moments of my life.
It seems like the Mohawk hairstyle was a hit on the island. Young, old, Latin, Moreno, blanquito, it didn’t discriminate. Dry, soaked with gel, short, long, it was ‘the’ “do” of the day!
The Toyota Echo and the Nissan Versa and Sentra were among the most popular cars in Puerto Rico. Because of the narrow streets, the smalls cars fared well!
Coming off of an 8-day vacation with my baby has been the best! We were able to connect and spend quality time together. We met up with a few of our friends to make his 40th birthday a great one! We all had a fantastic time. Thanks to Evelyn Maldonado, Alan, Paul, Maria. You made this birthday vacation memorable for both of us and we’re very grateful. At first I was a saddened because junior didn’t join us. It was the first time we were apart from each other for that long. 
I realized that parents need some time away from their children every so often to clear their minds, give them a break and in the end make them better parents for having that break. Next time junior—you’re there!
The places we visited were absolutely amazing! From the heights and the sights of El Yunque (the rainforest), to the historic foundations of Old San Juan and El Morro, to the plush and serene hotels and the gorgeous beaches. I myself am not really a “beach person” per se. Or should I say ‘wasn’t’, I was so enthralled at how everyone’s attitude there was. There were plenty of people on the beach who should under no circumstance (EVER) don on a bathing suit, but nevertheless there they were, suited up and had an ‘I don’t care attitude’.

Not arrogant or rude, but of confidence. This amazed me, since here everyone is so absorbed with how we look and pass judgement on everyone else. This put me at ease. So much so that I had an air of confidence. I put on my bathing suit and Tonio and I hit the beach almost every day. The beach seems to agree with Tonio. He was so content and happy. That made me feel good.
We hit the clubs, ate at different restaurants and of course Starbucks was never far behind if we wanted a mocha frappe or iced chai tea! This had to be the most relaxing, fulfilled vacation I’ve ever had. A special thanks to Alan and Paul for driving with us and sharing in the treasures of the island. We loved having you.
P.S. – Paul, did you hear from Domingo yet??
On a brighter note, Tonio’s parents welcomed us from the very beginning. Tonio’s mother cooked for us, shared old family photos and we all went to visit his family in the different towns where I was introduced to his mothers' brothers and sisters and their families. Tonio’s father, who was said not to be talkative, shared his like of baseball games and wrestling with me. One day out of the blue, Tonio’s dad came up to me in the kitchen and we just started talking. He really opened up. He told me how his father came to the New York when he was a boy and he and his mother came later. How he met his wife when they were young teenagers. How they would write to each other and eventually her moving to join him and begin their life together. He shared when they got married. The different jobs he’s had over the years, raising his children, moving back to Puerto Rico to be with his wife and youngest children, etc. As he spoke in my head I heard Tonio say ("Don't take it personal, he doesn't really talk a lot to anyone.") What surprised me was when he talked about the joys of spending time with his family when they were younger and they would go to the zoo, park, etc., He said it was important that his son (Tonio), myself and Junior do things together as a family. You could have knocked me over with a feather. It was a very special and meaningful talk that I will always remember. Thank you Dad.
As we drove to the airport on our last day, a calm happiness overwhelmed me. I reflected on the past days and thanking God for this time. Between the pictures and our memories, it will go down as one of the greatest moments of my life.
1 comment:
I agree, it was great. I have to admit that reading your post i had tears run down my cheeks with gratitude and amazement at the convo between you and my dad. I don't think anyone can understand how big a breakthrough that moment represents and how happy I am that it happened with the love of my life. Life truly goes on and changes occur to help us celebrate each year. This one was a milestone in more ways than one.
Post a Comment