Today: 2009 we are a society obsessed with using sex to sell everything from video games, to cars, to food and everything in between. Our kids are years ahead of where we were at their age.This brings me to my question(s): What is an appropriate age to have 'the talk' (the birds and the bees) with your child? Also should that age be standard across the board or should it differ depending on whether you're talking to a boy or a girl?
A friend of mine said not to bring it up until he brings it up. I told her I wanted to act first and at least arm him with the correct information. Once he brings it to me (if he brings it to me), that would mean he's already heard the second-hand crap from the street and already formed his own opinions/thoughts. I want him to hear it from me first.
Question: How old were you when you first heard about sex and who told you about it?
5 comments:
let the youngins bring the battle to you. LOL.
put the "its ok to ask me/talk to me about ANYTHING" statement out there...
Approach your child with basic info and progressively grow the conversation so communication lines are always open and the issue is never awkward. Just as you wouldn't toss your child War and Peace at the age of 14, you should take baby steps early. It's harder to teach an illeterate adult to read than a kid with an open mind.
I know that I was VERY young when I first heard about sex and no adult ever spoke to me on the subject...but I say you should talk to kids when they start asking questions from an early age...things like why is daddy different from me? I feel that can be used as a spring board to the major subject...
I don't have kids (yet), but I think you should let them come to you first.
I think I was about 11 when my sister decided to have the talk with me. She was about 26 at the time and gave me horrible advice!!
Post a Comment