
A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine who I’ve known for over 25 years basically ended our friendship without so much as a reason. When I asked what brought that on, her reply was we all go our separate ways, but don’t worry, we’ll always have the past.
I was dumbfounded. Now if this was someone who I didn’t care for it wouldn’t matter. But this is/was one of my closest friends. As teens we bonded and hung out at each other’s house. Our families know each other. We were there at some of the lowest times of our lives. We’ve weathered the deaths of friends, our triumphs and pinnacles. And of course some of the better moments: I was present in the delivery room when her daughter was born. We babysat each other’s kids. Through the years we’ve done just about everything best friends can do together. In the last couple of years we have drifted somewhat but not to the extent that I thought. (Silly me!) I’ve still kept in touch, but lately it hasn’t felt reciprocated. Then I send a text to ask when we’re going to hang out and I get hit with that. It’s as if she said, “A slice with pepperoni.” No feeling. No bother. Well it pissed me off. I tried not to think about. But it creeps into my thoughts and the memories stir up. I guess everyone has their reasons for doing the things that they do, so I hold no ill will. If and when she’s ready to explain and delve into what the real issue is, I’ll be here. But knowing that that day may not come - it bothers me. It hurts. But for now I wait.
4 comments:
ALL YOU CAN DO IS WAIT...
dont wait for JACK,JILL or a glass of water.
thats some booshit.
joni mitchell always said:
"dont it always seem to go, that you dont know what you've got till its gone"
whatever her reason, she is out of order for dropping you.
<3 Cas
No way!
I've had that happen before with someone who was close. Since he decided to end the friendship, I left it at that. Years later when he came back attempting to rekindle the friendship, I told him to fuck off. I had banished him from my heart and mind and was not about to set myself up to be dissappointed again.
Post a Comment